20 April 2016

An unexpected - and tiny - gift

Very often in life it is not grand gestures of friendship so much as simple tokens of affection shared unexpectedly by friends we do not see enough that touch and move our hearts to deep gratitude. Such was my experience this afternoon when I checked my mailbox.

Since the end of March, I have been awaiting the arrival of a new debit card (welcome to the joys of the Italian postal system). While the debit card has not yet arrived, there was a small package waiting in my box from a family back in the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois.

Inside the envelope were two smaller envelopes. The first contained a card that reads, in part:
I recently ordered a few extra Tiny Saints charms. When I received my order, I was surprised to find they threw in an extra as a gift. When I saw that it was St. Damien of Moloka'i [these friends know their Hawaiian spelling and my favorite saint], I immediately knew it was providential & meant to head your way.
Now, having not heard of Tiny Saints before, my interest was piqued and so I opened the second envelope with some anticipation. This is what I found:


This kind and thoughtful gift brought a smile to my face and joy to my heart, for which I am very grateful. Now I just have to decide whether to attach it to my key chain or to my backpack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment