28 September 2015

What did Pope Francis say in the U.S.A.?

Despite the clear statement of the Holy Father Pope Francis that "the unfailing commitment of the Church in America to the cause of life and that of the family, which is the primary reason for my present visit," the media will continue to frame the Pontiff's words toward a political bent, either in support of the policies of the Democrat party or in opposition to those of the Republican party.

At the same time, ignoring his statement that "I do not speak to you with my voice alone, but in continuity with the words of my predecessors," they will continue to frame his works as a break from the teaching and tradition of the Church.

Both of these attempts, of course, are quite false (thought there maybe something supported by either party he might agree with, inasmuch as it conforms to the teaching of the Church).

Rather than rely on the media to present the words of the Holy Father to you and to interpret them for you, read his words for yourself.

For reasons I do not understand, neither the web site of the Holy See or of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops have posted the texts of the Pope's addresses thus far in our nation. News.va, however, has released the full texts at the end of brief reports.

As the various texts of his addresses and homilies are released to us, I will post links to them below:

1 comment:

  1. I saw that right off the bat too. I should have wrote down the exact words. The comment seemed to say that the ONLY reason for Papa's visit was climate change...

    That might be fine for a opinion piece, but I really wish the reporters that are reporting live events wouldn't inject their interpretations. I just need to know the 'who', 'what', 'when', 'where', 'how'.

    ReplyDelete