09 April 2015

Obama and Cameron: Two very different views on Easter and Christians

President Obama took a jab at Christians - yet again - in his remarks at the Easter Prayer Breakfast two days ago:
On Easter, I do reflect on the fact that as a Christian, I am supposed to love.  And I have to say that sometimes when I listen to less than loving expressions by Christians, I get concerned.  But that's a topic for another day.  (Laughter and applause.) 
The president is certainly correct to note that Christians are not always loving to each other or to non-Christians, but he seems to forget two things: first, that he himself - by his own admission, a Christian - is not always loving towards others, and that, second, disagreement need not mean a lack of love.

One might also question the appropriateness of his remarks - made in passing and seemingly only for a laugh - at such an event, especially after giving a brief reflection about Jesus who, by "Embracing those who were different; serving the marginalized; humbling Himself to the last," gave us "the example that we are called to follow." The president's condescending remarks do not seem to follow Jesus' example of humility.

Just a few moments after I read President Obama's remarks, Father Dow, with whom I have been staying here in Bonnybridge, showed me the Easter greetings of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, David Cameron. It would be difficult to find a greater contrast between the two:


No comments:

Post a Comment