01 May 2014

Hail, May! We welcome thee and wish thee long!

As far back as I can recall, the month of May has always been my favorite. Though my initial liking of this great month may - I'm not sure, really - have begun simply because school used to finish in this month (my classes in Rome will not be finished until mid-June), it is the weather of this month I most enjoy.

With the coming of May, April showers at long last give way to the bright sun shining in the blue sky. The breeze becomes warm, trees erupt with foliage, and flowers bloom all over. The temperature of May generally pleases everyone and happiness returns after the drear of winter, without a thought to its return (expect, perhaps, this year of bizarre weather; here in Rome, it will be another week or so before we reach the warmer temperatures of May).

May is the time for music and boating and other pleasant activities:

Poets, of course, always put these thoughts together better than I can hope to do, so I offer you these words from John Milton's, "Song on a May Morning":
Now the bright morning-star, Day’s harbinger,
Comes dancing from the East, and leads with her
The flowery May, who from her green lap throws
The yellow cowslip and the pale primrose.
Hail, bounteous May, that dost inspire
Mirth, and youth, and warm desire!
Woods and groves are of thy dressing;
Hill and dale doth boast thy blessing.
Thus we salute thee with our early song,
And welcome thee, and wish thee long.

No comments:

Post a Comment