07 September 2012

A few Hawaiian verses

One of my Hawaiian friends very kindly composed a few verses for me in Hawaiian that are very meaningful to me (some of you may have seen a similar post this morning in your Google Reader; I removed that post because the formatting wasn't working properly).  Here are the verses in Hawaiian:
'Auhea 'oe e ku'u kahuhipa
E ho'i Mai i ke ola o ka 'aina
Ke Kali nei no ka uka kalihune
I ke kani aloha
I ka laua'e moe
E hiki Mai i ka waimaka 'eha
E puka Mai i ka ua lani Mai
E ike ia Liliulaaloha
Aloha e-e-e
Translated into English, the verses are:
Where art thou, my Shepherd?
Return to the life-giving land
The gentle uplands await your loving echo
upon the laua'e fern which creates a forest bed
We [the laua'e] welcome your melancholy tears
The tears transcend into the heavens
Until you arrive at the fire of Divine love
May love remain
If you're curious, this is the laua'e:


No comments:

Post a Comment