07 September 2012

2016: Obama's America

Last night a priest-friend and I went to see Dinesh D'Souza's 2016: Obama's America, rather than listening to President Obama accept his nomination as the Democratic nominee (I had a fairly good idea about what he would say and seem to have been largely correct in that assessment).

Though the movie has been in theaters now for a couple of weeks, last night was the closing of the Democratic National Convention, and the weather last evening was very nice, the theater had more people in it than I have seen at a movie since the last Harry Potter movie (even more than watched The King's Speech, The Rite, Brave, or The Dark Knight Rises in the theater when I saw them [and two of those movies I watched at the same theater complex]).  That, I think, says something significant that the Democratic party refuses to acknowledge (which, in part, explains why no major Democrat pundit has even commented briefly on the movie (or if one has I've completely missed it).

After the movie, I was struck at how many of the viewers stayed in the theater lobby to calmly discuss the movie; I haven't seen anything like that since The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

In his film, D'Souza convincingly describes President Obama's dream for the United States of America, which - argues D'Souza - is fundamentally different from that dream of the Founding Fathers and of any other Democratic President for these United States.  To make this argument, D'Souza uses President Obama's own words taken from his books and speeches and from the testimony of those who know him well and of the people whom Obama admits formed him.

Whether you are or are not a supporter of the President, this is a film that every American should watch:


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review - I really want to see this movie!

    ReplyDelete