22 October 2011

Bring on the eschaton!

Good morning, dear readers.

Since we're awake this morning it seems the doomsday prediction of Harold Camping has amounted to nothing more than the raising of a false alarm.

Not that I believed his prediction - I tend to stick with what the Lord himself said - but part of me hoped he was right.

We've been waiting some 2,000 years for Jesus' Second Coming, and some of us are tired of waiting (not that I've been waiting for 2,000 years; you get the idea).

One of my favorite phrases from The Lord of the Rings is "here at the end of all things."  There is something both peaceful and moving in those words; it is a phrase that speaks to my heart.  We are, in fact, already living during the time of the end of all things.  The Lord of time and history ushered in the final days when he rose triumphantly from the grave; now we await the culmination of the end of all things: the Second Coming.

For those who strive to live a life worthy of him who died for us, the Last Day holds nothing to fear; it is, rather, a day of great joy when the One whom we love will stand before us and say, "Come, you who are blessed by my Father: inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world."

Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment