25 August 2011

Faith of our Fathers

This morning I had the pleasure of Skyping with a relative in Germany (I suppose it's one of the benefits of jet lag).  My ancestors came from the Black Forest of Germany, in Baden-Baden, and many Zehnles are still there today.  In fact, in centuries past as today, the Zehnles have not been a family to move around too much; they live today in pockets where they have lived for centuries.

At any rate, my relative very kindly sent along this picture of St. Romanus church in Schweighausen where my ancestors worshipped the Lord and in whose cemetery many have been laid to rest.


My great-great-grandfather, Ambrose Zehnle, emigrated in 1866.  He settled in New York for nine months and then moved to Quincy, where the Zehnles have remained.

Schweighausen is in the Archdiocese of Freiburg, where the Holy Father will soon be visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment