21 May 2011

A new assignment (sort of), but no move

His Excellency has seen fit to entrust to me additional responsibilities and has appointed your humble scribe to be Priest Secretary and Master of Ceremonies to the Bishop, while retaining my duties as Associate Director of the Office Vocations. This announcement, made public in this week’s issue of the Catholic Times, formalizes a capacity in which I have already been serving unofficially for a few weeks. It is an assignment that I very much enjoy.


Some years back when I was still in the seminary my class went on pilgrimage to Turkey, Greece and Italy. During the pilgrimage following in the footsteps of Saint Paul, we spent a full month in Rome and had the opportunity to meet with several members of the offices of the Holy See.

When we met with a representative from the Secretariat of State I couldn’t help but be impressed by the Irish priest who spoke with us. He worked in Section One (which deals with “general affairs”) translating and drafting texts in English for the Holy Father and helping prepare for various visits to and from the Holy See.

As he explained his work he radiated an obvious joy because he knew his work, humble and largely unknown as it was, helped the Holy Father in his daily ministry. I thought to myself as he spoke, “What a beautiful way to spend my life” (my classmates thought I was crazy). It is this same joy that I am confident I will know as I serve the Lord Jesus Christ by serving Bishop Paprocki. Please pray for me as I continue this work that I may serve Bishop Paprocki well.

You may read his other appointments, of which there are many, here.

1 comment:

  1. Many congratulations, Father. May God continue to bless and guide you in your new roles!

    ReplyDelete