10 August 2010

No Taxpayer Funding of Abortion Act

Thomas Peters passes on the happy news that Representatives Chris Smith (R-NJ) and Dan Lipinski (D-IL) have introduced H.R. 5939, the No Taxpayer Funding of Abortion Act.

Having moved just seven miles north from Virden to Auburn, I am now in a new district. When I lived in Effingham, the Honorable John Shimkus was my representative and now I am happy to learn that - thanks to the wonders of mapping policies - I am once again in his district.

I had the pleasure of speaking with him on a few occassions over the years. When I mentioned to him one day at a park that I would be moving from his district, he suspected I would not be happy with the voting record of my representative. I was not.

I am glad to be once again represented by a man who recognizes the value and dignity of babies not yet born. And one who is a sponsor of H.R. 5939.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that Mr. Shimkus is pro-life when it comes to abortion; truly, that's one point I will award him. It's an important point, too. Unfortunately, however, the man has opposed just about every piece of significant legislation that would expand access to healthcare for the uninsured, including children. (He opposed, for instance, the expansion of S-Chip coverage just a couple years ago.)

    During his primary campaign last winter, he slapped down the president's attempt to provide coverage for the uninsured (and not simply on the basis of the abortion issue). He claims he is sympathetic to the needs of the uninsured; I imagine, charitably, that he would agree in principle that every American should be able to go to the doctor and not go broke if diagnosed with a catastrophic illness, yet during his campaign he appeared interested only in taking slaps at the president's plan.

    When I asked his staff to tell me what Mr. Shimkus did during his time in the Big Republican Majority (from the beginning of his tenure in 1997 to 2006) to prevent insurance companies from freezing out people who have pre-existing conditions, they were unable to point to a single thing he had done. He had his chance, along with his GOP colleagues, during their reign, to do something, and they didn't care enough to bother. If Mr. Shimkus had his way, anyone with a serious medical condition could be turned away by any and every insurance company.

    I wish the man were pro-life on issues beyond abortion. Truly.

    ReplyDelete