08 January 2010

Growing disciples

One of my greatest joys at St. Anthony's was talking with some of the students who sincerely sought the will of the Lord for their lives and who wanted to grow in faith, hope and love. Over the course of four years several good friendships were forged that I expect will continue in the years to come.

I gave a couple of the students Fr. Larry Richards' book, Be a Man! as a Christmas gift, having had with them several conversations about this topic in the past. I had heard several good things about the book and was confident it would be enjoyed by them and be of help to them.

One of them called today to say that he had already read the first two chapters and was anxious to continue reading the book. He asked about ways to strengthen his prayer life and his relationship with God saying that he wanted to go to God more often than when he needed something.

I was filled with deep gratitude and joy and recommended he spend at least a few minutes each day with the Scriptures and seek to spend time each week before the Blessed Sacrament.

The more I thought about our brief conversation the more I thought I should give him a bit more than that and decided to write a letter with the following suggestions:
  • Begin each day before a crucifix
  • Read from the Bible each day
  • Spend time in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament
  • Read some lives of the Saints to find a couple of particular favorites to imitate
  • Confession once a month, or more often if needed
  • Pray the rosary and the stations of the cross
  • Remember that you will die

What else might I suggest to him?

No comments:

Post a Comment