16 November 2009

Simple things

Last evening one of the parishioners invited me over for an evening with the high school students from Sacred Heart parish. The idea was to have an evening of "fun with Fr. Daren."

Two of the moms prepared salad, bread and desserts and I made my (well, Giada de Laurentiis' [I didn't make the meatballs but I bet those would be good]) rigatoni all'amatriciana. It's an unbelievably simple dish that yields a most delicious result.

The conversation was more entertaining than the picture shows.

After we ate we sat down for a good game of Apples to Apples and fun was indeed had by all.


It was an enjoyable way to include a day that included two Masses, my first baptism in my new parishes and a meeting with the lectors and extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion.


Today found me mostly at my desk attending to more paperwork, that is, after celebrating Mass in the parish and then at the nursing home.

The non-sacramental highlight of the day occured in the afternoon when I went to the local furniture shop to purchase a couch and two chairs for the sitting room I will soon have in which I will visit with friends and guests (who may well be one and the same). The furniture should arrive on Thursday.

Tomorrow will find me largely on the go. The day will begin with confessions and Mass at 7:15, followed by a quick bit in the office before a meeting of the Virden-Girard Ministerial Association. After the meeting I will join one of the area pastors for lunch.

At 1:30 I will meet a representative from Collette Vacations to talk about the possibility of my being a chaplain for some of their tours, particularly one to Germany next year. At 3:00 I have a meeting in Springfield regarding a trust set up to benefit Catholic education. At 7:00 I will celebrate Mass for the Ladies' Sodality and, if energy and strength permits, I will join them for their meeting after the Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment