21 April 2009

A day of surprises

The weather over the course of the evening hours took a bit of a downward turn, I'm afraid, with the current only forty-six. Yesterday many of the high schoolers told me it would be in the 80s for the weekend, a claim which I don't believe and my bones don't seem to indicate.

We've had a few track meets over the past week. Saturday we were in Pana and I had a great time with them; I have a few pictures from the day that I'll share tomorrow, I think.

Yesterday, we had a meet here in Effingham. We have a meet today in Cumberland, Thursday in Taylorville and Saturday in Robinson.

With the weather today, I'm not sure if any of our athletes want to go to the meet, but since rain doesn't seem to be in the forecast, we'll be leaving within the hour.

As I went to the rectory a short time ago for lunch I wanted a vegetable soup (a stew, really). Knowing that there is precious little food in the refrigerator today, I opened it up to see what might be inside (we all do that don't we, thinking food will somehow materialize?).

Imagine my surprise when I looked and found a large of a thick vegetable soup with beef that our housekeeper brought in! Now if only the Lord will do something about that weather...

Before we leave for the meet I have a couple of errands to run yet, chief among which is paying the bill for my cell phone.

On opening the bill I was surprised to see that it was a bit higher than it typically and wondered what might be the cause. Apparently last month I sent 415 text messages - imagine my surprise - and my limit is 250. Oops.

The majority of the text messages I send are to the high school students, who text me with requests to retrieve books from the school over the weekend, to be let in to the weight room, asking about Mass times, and even with general questions about the faith (two such questions came in last during the painfully long board of education meeting).

I don't expect the students' texting will decrease and the opportunity for catechesis and ministry is too good here to miss, so I suppose it's time to upgrade my plan to unlimited texting. I never thought I would do that. Of course, there was a day that I never thought I would use text messaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment