20 February 2009

Back at it

After a vain attempt at a nap this afternoon I went to the high school to see the students and to see what my new duties as the assistant track coach might entail (the wrestling season ended while I was in Hawaii).

The students were happy to see and I was happy to see them. They seem eager to help me get in shape beginning Monday with a renewed focus on running and weight lifting. I have to keep reminding myself that it will be good for me and they'll enjoy making me work every step of the way.

After track practice I returned to the rectory for dinner and ended up helping a couple who were in need of assistance with gas and a meal. I met with them briefly in my office and they seemed a bit nervous until one of them noticed a little plaque on my bookshelf that came to me as a Christmas gift. It read: "Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." It seemed to put them at ease.

I lead them to a gas station, filled up their car and gave them a gift card to one of the local restaurants. If I have a gift card handy I prefer to give them out instead of cash. Somehow a card to a local restaurant - not fast food - seems to add a sense of dignity to the gift that is begged and helps to lift up those who find themselves in need. They can also get healthier food and more of it.

From the gas restuarant I went to the high school for what was my first public appearance since my return at a basketball game, which also happened to be senior night.

I spent the time in the stands answering questions, picking up plastic bottles and just chatting with the kids. It was an enjoyable time.

And now, I'm going to review Sunday's readings for a bit and go to bed. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment