18 November 2008

Good conversations

Meetings of the Priests Personnel Board aren't exactly known for their excitement or fun. In fact, they often tend to be downright dull and tedious (at least for me, but I'm not much of one for meetings). Today's meeting, though, was not bad at all.

Granted, we didn't speak a great deal about assignments because there isn't much now to talk about (thankfully). Instead, we spent a couple of hours talking about topics of concern for the nation, the Diocese, and the priesthood. We shared thoughts and ideas and although we sometimes disagreed with one another, there remained a genuine respect for each other.

After the meeting concluded I asked Bishop Lucas if he had a few minutes to chat before going to his next appointment. He did.

We spent some time together talking about my ministry and his, my health (he encouraged me to exercise frequently and routinely, for health of body and soul) and even his next ad limina visit, which seems to now be pushed back until 2010 (he told me again he'll take me along!). We also talked about my future ministry in terms of what and where it might be. I shared my thoughts and concerns and he shared his in an open dialogue that felt, to me, like a son speaking to his father. It was a good dialogue and I'm glad we had it. At the end of our conversation he thanked me for my ministry and my "work" especially with the youth (he reminded me that it is always "time well spent"), saying that he doesn't say it enough. I left him feeling very much encouraged.

The more I get to know Bishop Lucas and the more I am able to speak informally with him one on one, the more I like him. I don't always agree with him, and I don't always understand why he says what he says or does what he does, but I do like him and respect him. He is a good man and I am glad he is my Bishop. Thank you, Bishop Lucas!

No comments:

Post a Comment