20 November 2008

A day in the life of a priest

It's been an interesting day. I think. Maybe.

I thought I had a meeting this morning at 8:20 at the high school. With this in mind, last night the Pastor and I switched Masses; I took the 6:30 Mass and he took the 8:30 Mass. After the 6:30 Mass, I would run up to the high school to celebrate Mass there at 7:10 and then go on to my meeting - after finding something else to do - to the 8:20 meeting.

I awoke at 5:00 and the morning proceeded as planned, until I learned at 7:45 that my 8:20 meeting wasn't today, but this coming Monday. Talk about starting off on the wrong foot.

It really hasn't been a very interesting day since then. It's one of those days when I have an appointment that lasts maybe twenty minutes and then thirty minutes later - or so - I have another short appointment. If you simply repeat that pattern throughout the course of the day, that's what my day has been like. It makes not only for a tedious day but a thoroughly unproductive one, as well.

When the pastor finished celebrating the 8:30 Mass, I went over to the church to bless rosaries made by the fifth graders. They were very appreciative.

I've been back and forth to the high school a few times today for various reasons. I've just returned from the grade school after reading a story to the second graders. In an hour I'll be off to the high school again for wrestling practice. Then early in the evening I have a series of pictures to take with various councils and committees for a parish directory. That won't exactly be exciting either.

To top off the day, it's very cloudly and cold here and it's been spitting snow all day. It isn't accumlating and it wouldn't add up to much. It's actually left me quite baffled because I didn't feel it coming at all and I still don't feel it. That's a good thing.

I've also managed to catch up on telephone messages and I've cleared out e-mail inbox. One more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment