01 October 2008

The last few days

Monday’s meeting of the Priests Personnel Board moved along rather uneventfully, especially considering that there really isn’t anything to discuss at this point. Bishop Lucas addressed us for a time and we set the next meeting date. Afterwards we adjourned for lunch and then parted ways.

Unbeknownst to me, on Sunday Bishop Lucas celebrated the final Mass in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception until after the restorations are complete. I’m happy to say that things look to be moving along well.

Monday being the day after the final Mass meant a sacristy cleaning day. The Pastor of the Cathedral – who happens to also be from my home parish – and the Director of Vocations – who lives at the Cathedral – conscripted me into the ranks of those helping them go through the sacristy. It’s amazing what can be found in thirty years of accumulated stuff.

I didn’t mind helping out – though I did wish at that point I’d brought along a pair of jeans and t-shirt to really help out – since I had some time free before leaving Springfield to meet the soccer team in Raymond.

When I left Effingham Monday morning I checked the weather forecast in Raymond just to see what was predicted for the games that evening. Thunderstorms. And lots of them. I would have cancelled the game then and there, even at nine o’clock in the morning.

On the way to Raymond from Springfield – but not before picking up some sour balls – I drove through quite a bit of rain and. I expected the team to be in Raymond about 4:45 so I arrived at 4:30 just to be safe. When I parked at the soccer field I saw a flash of lightening – the only thing that seems to stop soccer – and pretty well figured no games would be played that evening.

The boys arrived about 5:00 in the midst of rain. Sure enough, the lightening continued to flash right up until game time. The officials postponed the start of the game for at least thirty minutes before calling it off.

The boys loaded back up onto the bus and made the hour and a half trip back to Effingham, but not before stopping for a bite to eat.

Yesterday the boys played the Sullivan Redskins at Bulldog field. Being our last home game of the season it was also Senior Night. Our six seniors were honored during the half-time and we even managed to take a win, 3-2. Tomorrow evening we play at Mattoon, just a short drive away.

Today has been a busy day filled with many activities. I blessed rosaries for the first graders and talked with them about the stained glass windows in the church. I talked with a class of third graders (or maybe second graders; I can’t remember) about angels. I tossed some soccer balls at keepers to help them practice a bit. And I attended the parish choir practice this evening. All in all it’s been a good day.

Tomorrow will be spent largely finishing up a few homilies and talks – as well as packing – for this weekend’s Great River TEC retreat in Quincy. I’m very excited to be the spiritual director for the weekend, though I am a bit sad I won’t be able to be with the soccer for the games in Danville this weekend (they assure me they’ll keep me updated as to the scores).

I’m afraid regular blogging won’t resume for a few more days yet, most likely not until Tuesday. I do, though, hope to put up a few posts tomorrow and Friday morning on angels and other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment