06 August 2008

A late start and helpful advice

I awoke this morning to a most unusual sound: a knocking at my bedroom door. As I heard the sound of hte knocking I became aware of how much light filled room and I knew that I overslept. My Pastor was at the door and it was 6:25 a.m.; Mass was at 6:30 a.m., and I was the celebrant. Oops.

I quickly wet my hair so as to look at least mostly presentable, put on my clerics and hurried to the sacristy where I vested for Mass. Thanksfully, our Deacon prepared everything for the Mass, which I normally do after waking at 5:00 a.m.

On the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord, when Peter, James and John beheld the Lord's glory, I was asleep with them on the Mount of Olives.

Typically I put some thoughts together for the morning homily as I prepare for the day; today there was no time.

A wise priest once said to me: "If you don't have anything prepared to say, don't say anything." So, having nothing prepared, in the place of the homily we observed a few moments of silence, following the command of the Father: "Listen to him."

It seemed strangely fitting.

P.S. - When using your cellular telephone for your alarm clock, always be certain to set the phone to "ring" and not "vibrate" before retiring for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment