11 August 2008

Dude, where's my golf cart?

The past few days have been both jam-packed and enjoyable as the parish celebrated its annual Parish Picnic.



The Lord blessed us with weather that simply could not have been better, especially for an August weekend in Illinois. The temperatures were in the upper seventies and lower eighties (last night as we were "shutting down" it was even a bit chilly), the sun shone brightly and the humidity was low. All of this combined to bring out quite a crowd.



Saturday morning I celebrated the 6:30 a.m. Mass and went out to breakfast with a couple who wanted to ask various questions. I intended to return to the parish about 8:30 a.m. to participate in the second annual Bulldog Run/Walk Challenge but we didn't return until 9:00 a.m.



Having missed the beginning of the challenge, I decided to begin work on Sunday's homily (I intended to do that Friday night but instead spent no small amount of time with a couple offering advise and counseling which turned out to be - thanks be to God - quite fruitful). After thirty minutes or so of homily work I went to the high school to greet those finishing the challenge and for the presentation of awards.



I brought the legal pad with me on which I was writing the homily in draft, thinking I might be arriving at the finish a bit early and would have more time to work on it. At this point it was about 9:30 a.m.

I wasn't early and despite the pad in front of me and the pencil in my hand half a dozen high school kids came over started talking with me. We were laughing and carrying on and I think a few people were a bit surprised at the situation (some people still seem to think I'm boring or something). It was a good time.



After the awards presentation another gentleman had several questions to ask and so I stayed with him until about 11:00 a.m. before I had to excuse myself to work on the homily and get a bit of rest. Answering questions all morning is tiring - though very enriching - work.



When I returned to the rectory I had a quick lunch and resumed work on the homily. It was a fun homily to write but it took some time drawing it all together. I'm still not fully happy with the result but I've received numerous remarks of gratitude for it, so I'll leave it as it is.



In the midst of trying to pull it all together - about 3:00 p.m. - I received a call from some of the picnic volunteer workers who needed to get into a garage but didn't have the key. I went looking for the key and went back to the high school to help them, but I brought the wrong key. Returning to the office I couldn't determine which key was the correct one so I brought a bunch of them back to the high school. After some effort the door was unlocked.



When I returned to the office I began to put the keys away and when I returned to the rectory I realized I locked myself out, having left my keys in the office. Thankfully, the Pastor was just about to hear confessions so I borrowed his keys.



I then finished up the homily and prepared for the evening Mass at our mission parish.



After Mass I baptized a child back at St. Anthony's and then attended the picnic, where I remained until 11:30 p.m. I then promptly went to bed.



After two Masses on Sunday morning I returned the picnic where I stayed until 3:00 p.m., wandering around and visiting with people.



At 3:00 I returned to the rectory for a late lunch and to keep myself awake for an evening Mass. After the third Mass of the day I returned to the office to see if a golf cart was free for the taking now that the dinner had concluded.



For me, the confiscation of a golf cart is the most enjoyable part of the picnic. I've always loved driving a golf cart around just for the fun of it and last evening proved no exception. Happily, there was a free cart.



When I arrived at the picnic in the golf cart I parked behind the dunk tank (which I never entered). Walking the behind the dunk tank and not paying much attention I heard the unmistakable sound of something hitting metal. I jumped, being quite startled, and before I realized what happened water splashed on me as the dunkee fell into the water. Oops.



It didn't take long before some of the high school boys insisted that I take them for a spin around the picnic grounds in the golf cart. I acceded to their demand and we had a good time driving around the high school parking lot.



I then spent the remainder of the evening at the picnic visiting with people and wandering around, doing all that I could to stay awake until after the drawing of the raffle prizes around 10:30 p.m., which the Pastor and I both drew.



I bought more tickets for Pope Benedict XVI this year but, alas, he didn't win.


Once the raffle was finished I was exhausted - I'd been exhausted for a while, really - and was quite ready for bed. Naturally, I walked back to the dunk tank and was shocked when I saw that the golf cart was not there. At all. It was gone.

I thought, "Oh, boy. I'm going to be in trouble for this one." I'm not sure how you lose a golf cart, but I managed to do it (and the Bishop wants to give me charge of a parish!), and even with the key to the golf cart in my pocket! (Apparently keys aren't required for these carts, which makes me wonder why they have them.)


After searching unsuccessfully for the golf cart I caught a ride back to the rectory and was pleased to see all three golf carts used for the picnic - including mine - in the driveway. I've still no idea who stole my golf cart. Having found the missing cart I slept peacefully.


Today I'm still rather tired and am taking a quiet day, which is just as well as I might have talked too much the last few days. Not only is my body tired today, but my voice as well.


A happy St. Clare day to you all! (More on her later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment