02 August 2008

At the grave of a holy priest

My pilgrimage to the grave of Blessed Father Damien of Molokai and my prayer there remain etched in my memory. Such peace flooded my soul and tears came to my eyes as I spoke with the leper priest.

I asked Father Damien to intercede for me before the throne of God and to show me how to be a good and holy priest, a true servant of Jesus Christ and of his people.

Of all of the workers on the Kalaupapa peninsula only one contracted leprosy: Father Damien.

The doctors today will tell us this is because Father Damien was one of the small percentage of humanity who are genetically prone to leprosy, today called Hansens’ Disease. But I wonder if there isn’t a greater reason.

Father Damien once said, “I make myself a leper with the lepers to gain all to Jesus Christ.” In these words he echoes the words of Saint Paul who said that he became “all things to all to save at least some” (I Corinthians 9:22).

This is the duty of a priest, to become like his people, to share in their suffering, to show them how to suffer with and for Christ. In doing so Father Damien imitated the love of Christ who gave himself for our salvation.

Commenting on his ministry among the lepers, Father Damien said, “I would gladly give my life for them.” Here he imitated the love of the Good Shepherd and showed that “greater love has no man than this, to lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13).

After he came down with the disease then called the “separating sickness,” Father Damien accepted this Cross as a true disciple. He said, “Having no doubts about the true nature of the disease, I am calm, resigned, and very happy in the midst of my people. God certainly knows what is best for my sanctification and I gladly repeat. ‘Thy will be done.’”

He found that his “greatest pleasure is to serve the Lord in his poor children rejected by other people.” He devoted all of his efforts to the lepers of Molokai and like Saint Francis of Assisi he embraced them with the love of Jesus Christ. This every priest must do.

Father Damien found his life’s mission on the island of Molokai. Brother Joseph Dutton, one of Father Damien’s most trusted helpers, said, “One’s Molokai can be anywhere.” Where shall I find mine?

My heart has found its home in Hawaii. I have fallen in love with life on the islands and with her people. Their faith is strong and vibrant; they are peaceful, kind and friendly; the climate could not be better for my health. Yet the Lord has not placed me in Hawaii, though my heart longs to remain there. He has placed me in central Illinois.

Is it my will that I be in Hawaii, or is it will? At present I am not certain. I trust Blessed Damien to guide me.

Now we come to the heart of my prayer. On the day of my ordination to the Priesthood of Jesus Christ, I made a series of promises. Most notable in the eyes of many is the promise of celibacy and the promise of obedience.

It is often presumed that remaining faithful to the promise of celibacy is the most difficult aspect in the life of a priest. It is not. It is the promise of obedience - which also entails the promise of respect – to the Bishop that is often the most difficult.

Were it not for my promise of obedience I would not have boarded the plane last May to return to Effingham, nor would I have boarded the train yesterday to return to Effingham; I would have followed my heart’s desire and remained in Hawaii. But such does not seem now to be the will of the Lord. I must trust in the guidance of the Holy Spirit who is active in the Church through the ministry of the Bishop.

I know not why, but for one reason or another the Lord has put me in Effingham. I must trust that it is for my sanctification and, with Blessed Damien, I, too, must repeat, “Thy will be done.”

To be resigned to the will of God and the will of Mother Church is not always easy. Yet this is required of those who wish to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Bishop Lucas has already said to me once, “What I need you to do is to stop thinking about going somewhere else.” I shall do my best. It is all I can do.

The Lord has sent me to Effingham and it is there that I will find my Molokai. But who are my lepers?

I feel the Lord calling me to greater involvement in youth ministry. Are the youth my lepers? They have certainly been neglected by many today and I was able to have many powerful conversations with them throughout our pilgrimage to WYD 2008. They brought me much joy (and a few headaches, but joy mostly). But how and where do I begin?

I also still feel a pull toward more blogging and the beginning of a podcast. I do enjoy blogging and I often hear from those who are touched through it.

Are these two areas my Molokai? They are very often the same area.

Wherever my Molokai is, whoever my lepers are, I must give more generously of myself than before. I must allow myself to be wounded by and for them. I must abandon myself in their service. In serving them I shall serve the Lord and so come to salvation.

I have returned to Effingham to serve whatever form of contemporary leper to whom the Lord shall send me. I only pray that he shall reveal them to me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment