28 July 2008

What I've been up too

Yesterday morning I left Waipahu for Honolulu with the intention of arriving at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace to concelebrate the 7:30 a.m. Mass. After Mass I was going to my friend Ian and his family for a morning at Hanauma Bay.

Coming from Waipahu on H-1 (one the three Hawaiian "interstates") I saw an exit for "Honolulu" and another for "King Street." I knew that King Street ran very close to the Cathedral and so I decided to depart H-1 sooner than planned. I should not have done so. The King Street exit took me farther into Honolulu than I thought and I had to work my way backwards through one-way streets and dead ends.

I eventually arrived at the Cathedral, but not until 7:45 a.m. I waited around and concelebrated the Mass at 9:00 a.m.

The principal celebrant at that Mass was the Most Rev. Edmundo M. Abaya, Archbishop of Nueva Segovia. His Excellency was in Honolulu on a "begging tour," imploring the generosity of the Hawaiian people who are served by many Filipino priests, many from the Archdiocese of Nueva Segovia. Archbishop Abaya struck me as a quiet man and one of kindess and humor.

Concelebrating the Mass with me was Fr. Pascual, a priest of the Archdiocese of Nueva Segovia and a former Parchial Vicar at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace.

After Mass, I hopped in my car and drove to Hanauma Bay but was not permitted in; the car park was full.

Not quite knowing what else to do, I decided to continue driving along the windward side of Oahu to take in the scenery on a truly beautiful day.

Later in the afternoon I returned to my friend's house for a bit of rest.

In the evening I returned to Honolulu to have dinner with a Catholic Mom in Hawaii and her family. It was a great to be with Esther and Joey again (who still hasn't updated his blog) and Esther's husband and relatives. I spent four hours or so with them chatting away, and I even blessed their new cat, Honey. Thanks, Esther and Joey!

In a bit I'll post a few of the pictures I took yesterday driving around.

No comments:

Post a Comment