31 July 2008

En route

I'm using an Internet terminal here in the Honolulu International Airport and it must be the cheapest Internet available in any airport anywhere: $0.20 per minute. That's right, just twenty cents per minute! (It saves me the trouble of taking my laptop out of my bag.)

Theoretically, in forty-five minutes I will leave this land of Paradise and depart for the Windy City where, God willing, I will catch a train just two hours after landing to Effingham. I hope my flight will be on time. If not, I'll have to find something to do in Chicago until 8:15 p.m. Or somehow find a car rental that will allow me to leave their car in Effingham, though I've not yet had any luck with such a search.

Last night I was working on a blog post concerning my prayer at the tomb of Blessed Father Damien of Molokai (which will be finished during the flight) and I wrote that I was "content" ("ready" is perhaps too strong of a word) to leave Hawaii. I was quite truthful when I wrote those words yet today my heart is heavy and I do not want to leave.

The weather is gorgeous, the people are wonderful, the Faith is strong and vibrant here. And my fingers have returned to looking "normal." I can actually put all of my fingers together; the swelling is gone. But it shall soon return. And I shall soon return to Effingham.

Please pray for a safe flight. I don't expect the landing will be as smooth as Captain Callahan's yesterday.

Mahalo, and God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment