19 May 2008

Summer has come

Nothing quite says "summer" to me like the sight of a tomato plant. I have many happy memories of picking tomatoes right off of the vine and biting right into them, always remembering, of course, to suck the juice out on the first bite to avoid making a huge mess (as a boy, this always reminded me of the vampire bunny, Bunnicula [I loved those books]).

Every summer at home we filled several five-gallon buckets with tomatoes. We always had far more than we could eat and we ate them every night. I never tire of tomatoes, the most splendid fruit of them all!

Last week the Pastor set about the backyard again. He loves to play in it, planting flowers, arranging fountains, etc. and has made it a very nice place to sit and read or talk. For my part, I'm happy to let him play all he likes and enjoy the benefits of his labor.

Just the other day he added something new to the back yard, and something I didn't expect: tomatoes! (I've been suggesting a lilac bush for three years, but that hasn't happened yet).

But one of the tomato plants he planted is no ordinary plant; it seems to have special, gravity-defying powers. Behold:

I've seen these contraptions on television before and have my doubts about them, but if they do work they are truly wonderful! I'll keep you posted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment