18 April 2008

Of two capitols

What follows are some general observations and thoughts of two capitol cities, Rome and Washington, D.C.

Both cities have a metro system and each system has its own unique advantages. A weekly pass can be purchased for the Roman metro for almost nothing; the Washingtonian system has no such pass making metro travel more expensive. The Roman system has a linear map of the metro line you are riding inside each car, making it very easy to see where you are going (or should have gotten off). The Washingtonian system has pillars on the platforms listing the stops to which you are going, but not where the train has been, making navigation a bit tricky sometimes (system-wide maps are in each car, if you can get to through past the passengers).

Roman "fast food" staff will chat with you before, during and after you place your order; Washingtonian fast food staff will talk on their phones while you place your order, and may or may get your order right.

The government buildings in each capitol have similar architectural aspects.

Both cities have cobblestones, though Washington, D.C. has far fewer than Rome.

Both cities are filled with people, both residents and tourists.

It feels safe walking through the streets of Rome late at night, even in alleyways; not so much in Washington, D.C.

All in all, Washington, D.C. is a fine city to visit, but I would not want to live here. Rome, on the other hand...

This evening I went to the National Mall to wander around a bit before I leave for New York City early in the morning.

Walking out of the Federal Triangle Metro stop the architecture of the buildings reminded me of Rome, as did the cobblestones I saw. The height of the federal buildings, too, reminded me of Rome.

As I approached the National Mall and saw the Washington Monument with the joggers going around and the tourists wandering a bit I thought of only one thing: the Circus Maximus.

What made matters worse was one particular sign on a bus stop. It had a picture straight out of a gelatria (an Italian shop with the finest ice cream type dessert (only far superior). I became very excited and looked more closely to see where the shop was located and I began to taste again the flavors of gelato and I could feel the texture of it in my mouth; I could even smell it!

It turns out the sign wasn't for gelato at all, but for a foreign exchange program through a university, thus shattering my dreams in an instant.

Oh, Eternal City! When shall I return to thee?

No comments:

Post a Comment