17 March 2008

Trouble to the south

You've probably heard by now that a large number of the priests of the Diocese of Belleville - my neighbors to the south - have written a statement asking His Excellency Bishop Edward Braxton to resign his post because they are "increasingly frustrated by the lack of collaborative and consultative leadership" on his part.

I'll wager His Excellency can echo those very same words and address them to the same priests who signed the letter.

These priests must have forgotten that it is not the Bishop who must collaborate with them but they that must collaborate with their Bishop. Canon law obliges the Bishop to "hear" the priests - through the Presbyteral Council - on certain matters, but the Bishop is not obliged to do as his priests suggest.

The Second Vatican Council teaches that
Priests, never losing sight of the fullness of the priesthood which the bishops enjoy, must respect in them the authority of Christ, the Supreme Shepherd. They must therefore stand by their bishops in sincere charity and obedience (Presbyterorum Ordinis, 7).
I've had conversations with some of the priests who have been involved in such matters in the past and they have not spoken one kind word of their Bishop.

Readers of my blog will know that I disagree very strongly with my Bishop over the closing of my home parish and other parishes in Quincy; this I have made known to the Bishop through two letters and two personal meetings. Though I have shared my pain - and even anger - over the situation on my blog - in public - I have not criticized my Bishop publicly, nor will I. I respect him and value his ministry - in which I share - even if I do not always agree with him.

It is not my place to publicly tell the Bishop when he is wrong. I do have an obligation to speak with my Bishop if I sincerely think something is not right, but this must be done privately and not publicly, remembering in the end that he is the Bishop and I am not.

My pain and anger over the closing of my home has not created harsh feelings between me and the Bishop. I know his position and he knows mine. We do not agree with each other. So be it. I am still his priest.

I am particularly saddened by this letter, especially because of its timing; it was written only a few days ago on 12 March 2008 after a meeting of the priests that same day.

In the very season when priests exhort the faithful to forgive others, to let go of past wrongs, to be reconciled with God and neighbor, the priests met together to plot against their Bishop. What a very sad day in the history of the Diocese.

How can these same priests concelebrate this week the Chrism Mass with Bishop Braxton and say, "I am," when Bishop Braxton will ask them, "are you ready to renew your own dedication to Christ as priests of his new covenant?"

They would do well to remember that an essential character of priests of Jesus Christ is respect and obedience to those entrusted with the fullness of the priesthood, the Bishops.

The priests also sent the statement to His Emminence Francis Cardinal George, Archbishop of Chicago (who, as I understand it, has no jurisdiction in Belleville to intervene) and to His Excellency Archbishop Pietro Sambi, Aposotolic Nuncio.

The priests' statement concludes, saying, "We will continue to work and pray for healing and reconciliation in our Diocese." Asking your Bishop to resign is one thing. Making your request public not even two days later is another thing. I fail to see how such methods help attain reconciliation.

I find it curious that the statement of the priests has been made public but not the names of the signers. These are very sad times for the Diocese of Belleville. We have no way to know if what the statement says is true or not. There is no integrity here. I do hope they sent their names to the Nuncio.

The group Call to Action has called the priests "courageous." If these men were courageous they would allow their names to be known; they are cowards. God help them all.

Be sure to remember Bishop Braxton and his priests in your prayers.

The Belleville News Democrat has the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment