04 March 2008

It's an icy mess out there

From my second floor window that overlooks one of the main streets in Effingham (there aren't very many) I saw this morning, very clearly, ice on the sidewalks and a lawn that is more of a frozen swamp than grass. It does not look at all pleasant and I have no intention of venturing out into it.

Even so and as is always the case, the daily Mass attendees came out in good number for the 6:30 a.m. Mass, with only a few entering the church after Mass began. Ordinarily at the early Mass during Lent, we have anywhere between 80-100 faithful souls, but when the weather turns nasty their numbers go down to around 35-40 faithful souls, which, if I may boast, is greater than the average number at most daily Masses in good weather.

The server informed me that - as I called it yesterday at 9:00 a.m. - school is indeed cancelled for the day.

It seems to me that there is a very fine line between great devotion and utter foolishness and, to my mind, many of those venturing out this morning foolish, but I give thanks to God for them and I entrust myself to their faithful prayers.

Be safe out there today, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment