18 January 2008

An anniversary

Today is the twentieth anniversary of the death of my mother, Patricia. It is a day, quite naturally, filled with many emotions and thoughts, all swirling around and blurring together at once.

Earlier in the week as I looked at the my schedule for today I happily discovered it to be free and thus I had every intention of returning home today to pray at Mom's grave. Unfortunately, the weather patterns have made this trip imprudent. My knees are still recovering from yesterday's misty conditions most of the day and I know that twenty-five or so degree expected tonight will not be pleasant. On top of all othat, there seems to be something about sitting a car that agravates my arthritis, especially when combined with the weather.

Consequently, today will be given to prayer here in Effingham and to an attempt to as fully prepare my office for my Roman holiday as possible by clearing away as much paper as possible.

This morning I celebrated the early Mass (6:30) using the prayers for the anniversary of a death.

My mother was a sweet woman who suffered greatly. A nurse by occupation (the picture above is from her graduation from nursing school), she developed a brain tumor when I was about five (maybe a little earlier) that confined her to a hospital bed in our home and to a nursing home after Dad's death. I have many fond memories of her love and especially of her reading to us, which probably influences my love of books. I am grateful to have still a tape recording of her reading to us, though it has been recorded over in a few spots due to the carelessness of young boys.

Would you be so kind as to pray for my mother?
Lord God,
you are the glory of believers
and the life of the just.
Your Son redeemed us
by dying and rising to life again.
Our sister Patricia was faithful
and believed in her own resurrection.
Give to her the joys and blessings
of the life to come.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God for ever and ever.
Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her.
May she rest in peace.
May her soul, and the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment