18 November 2007

A little surprise at Mass

Typically here at the parish we have three servers at the weekend Masses, one crucifer and two candle-bearers.

The three scheduled servers for the anticipated Mass on Saturday evening apparently arrived early enough for another server not to see them.

About ten minutes before Mass was to begin, a fourth server popped into the sacristy. He looked around and, with a bit of disappointment in his voice, said something like, "I was just seeing if you had enough servers."

"You can serve, too, if you want," I said.

"Four servers?" he replied.

"Why not?"

"What will I do?" he asked.

"I don't know, but I'm sure we can find something for you to do," answered I. "If I could have a dozen servers, I would."

Then, with a smile on his face, he asked, "Can I get my brother, too?"

Knowing that his brother was a freshman, I said, "Sure, if he wants to serve, too."

To my surprise - and to my delight - he came back with his brother and we had five servers last night. It was a hoot! During the sign of peace, the fourth server - who is quite a character in and of himself - said to me, "It's like a party here." I chuckled a bit and agreed, giving thanks to God for such a generous soul.

I'm not really sure what the two extra servers did, but I am pretty certain we had a good number of people worried as we processed up the aisle!

If only all of our servers were as energetic and as generous as that fourth server. He's in the sixth grade now and I hope he keeps at it.

He reminded me last night of what I was like in grade school. By no means did I ever have his exuberance, but his desire to serve Mass I did have. I always hoped that servers would not show up so that I could serve. Serving became for me a great love and joy, one that fostered - I am sure - my vocation to the priesthood. May the same be said of other servers today!

No comments:

Post a Comment