22 October 2007

The land of milk and honey?

It might not be the Promised Land, but it isn't too far off! It is, afterall, the land where "life is good." I promised another post on the weekend wedding and here it is.

After the rehearsal concluded this past Friday night, the wedding party went to The Patio for the rehearsal dinner. The meal was very good and I was able to sit next the bride, Rose, and continue catching up. The pastor of the parish in which the wedding was held also came to the dinner (he sat next to the groom, Craig). For desert, we had that for which The Patio is famous: peppermint ice cream. It was delicious!

Afterwards we retired to the bride's parents' house, where in high school we spent many enjoyable evenings playing Mario Kart with our circle of friends. Rather than playing the excellent game, I engaged in a intellectually enjoyable conversation with one of the bridesmaids, Erin, who happens to be an agnostic (and she even knows the meaning of the word).

She was a lot of fun and quite intelligent. She asked very good questions and listened to my responses before replying. It was refreshing! At one point she exclaimed, "You have an answer for everything!" I guess all of those many nights arguing with football players paid off! I'm not sure her boyfriend enjoyed her asking so many questions (I think he was a bit embarassed), but I'm glad she did.

The next morning, being hungry for a tasty breakfast, I crossed the street from the church and went to Underbrinks Bakery to pick up a few pastries. I'd forgotten the splendor of a real bakery! I then wandered down to the riverfront before heading out to look for a new pair of cuff links (you'll recall I'll be keeping a pair in the car now).

Having found a pair that I liked I returned to the parish to prepare for the wedding. The wedding itself went very well, I'm glad to say.

I spent the afternoon reading in the garden of the friary, after having first taken a swing by the Maid Rite for a quick - and extra tasty lunch. It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to read for a good length of time so I welcomed this chance quite happily.

At the reception I sat at a table with my good friend from high school, Darren, and his wife, and with Erin and her boyfriend. It was a great evening. After visiting for about two hours inside, Darren and his wife had to head out because they had an early morning ahead of them. I walked them out and ended up talking with the two of them - and Erin and her boyfriend - until midnight! I've always enjoyed spending many hours talking in parking lots as everybody says they have to leave. It's a habit that started in high school and hasn't gone away.

Sunday morning I paid a visit to the cemetery to pray at my parents' graves since I won't be able to go on All Souls' Day. Bishop Lucas was at the parish this weekend for his pastoral visit, which afforded me the opportunity to serve as the Master of Ceremonies before leaving Quincy to return in time for the end of the year soccer party.
All in all, it was a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment