25 October 2007

Adventures with Carolus

This evening I traveled with Carolus (not his real name) to Casey, Illinois to watch our girl's volleyball team compete in the regional matches.

After the girls won their first game we decided to go out for a quick bite to eat while two other teams played. We went to the McDonald's in Casey and found one of the most freakish and frightening things I've ever encountered: karaoke night.

That's right. Karaoke night in McDonald's and no alcohol of any kind. I don't drink alcohol, but had there been some I might well have just to deaden my senses. I've never been to a karaoke event before. I've also considered the very notion of it scary and tonight my thoughts were confirmed. Why would anyone want to listen to people sing songs badly? Why do people applaud obviously horrible singers? It only encourages them.

Carolus and I finished our meal more hurriedly than we might have otherwise. Returning to the gym some of our high school students began to arrive for our girls' second game. I related to the incident to them and the Great Gobbler - one of our high school who can gooble very much like a turkey - exclaimed, "Well, what are we doing here?! I'll go if Father goes!" "I think I'll stay here," I answered, to which she responded, gratefully, "Thanks, Father!" She very nearly got the both of us in trouble. The kids later assured us if we did go back we'd get an entire yearbook to ourselves.

At any rate, the girls won both of their matches, thereby winning the Regional. Congratulations, girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment