09 August 2007

In honor of the day

I found myself in Rome in October of 1998 for the ordination to the diaconate of a man from my home parish. Together with about fifteen parishioners I spent ten days in Rome for the blessed occassion.

One of the highlights that will forever remain with me was being present at the canonization Mass of Teresa Benedicta of the Cross in Saint Peter's Square on the 11th of that month.

I knew nothing of this philospher and nun prior to the Mass, though afterwards I began to read more about her. The more about her I read the more I like her. I think you will, too.

Here are a two quotes that were included in the booklet published for the Mass:
  • The darker it gets around us, the more we must open our hearts to the light from above.
  • By assuming human nature, Christ became capable of suffering and dying. His divine nature, which He has had from eternity, gave infinite value and a redeeming power to His suffering and death. Christ's suffering and death continues in His mystical Body and in each one of His members. Everyone has to suffer and die. And if he is a living member of the Body of Christ, then his death and suffering acquires a redemptive power through the divine nature of the Head.
More quotes are at the post I did last year on her feastday. A Catholic Mom in Hawaii has a nice set of photographs of young Edith Stein.

No comments:

Post a Comment