29 May 2007

Looking back

Throughout the day I have been reflecting and reminiscing (that's an odd looking word) on the day of my ordination and first Mass. They were glorious and happy days, surrounded by family and friends and filled with the joy of the Lord.

The reception after the Mass of Thanksgiving was held at the Knights of Columbus hall with the Quincy Early Music Consort providing music that everyone greatly enjoyed, contrary to what my pastor expected. He thought people might find the music a bit odd. Who knows; perhaps they did, but they enjoyed it nonetheless, giving them a standing ovation when they quietly tried to sneak away!

At every table there were bottles of DrPepper with bowls of lemons and cherries which, as everyone knows, is the best way to enjoy a DrPepper.

The meal was very good that evening and consisted of lasanga, green beans, salad, rolls, and cake for desert. There were seven small cakes each with a symbol of one of the sacaments on it and two larger cakes. The baker outdid herself that night! (Sadly, so far as I know, nobody thought to take good pictures of the cakes.) I don't think I actually ate that evening; if I did it was only a little bit towards the end. I spent the evening wandering around the room visiting with those who came to celebrate with me. It was truly a great joy!

I've posted a few pictures from the reception that I thought you might enjoy (and these include a chasuble I forgot to post yesterday); in this way you can share in my delight this day.

3 comments:

  1. That chasuble is the pick of the litter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it was a wonderful celebration to end many years of study and a blessed ordination.

    Thank you for sharing the pictures. Your recollection of the party reminds me a lot of what I remember of my wedding reception - I don't remember all of what happened that day either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also the heaviest and therefore the hottest, Jeffrey. I save it for the fall.

    ReplyDelete