30 April 2007

Punctuation and Grammar

What follows is an exact transcription - names and spacing excepted - of a plaque I recently stumbled upon:

ON THIS EXACT SPOT, THE CORNER STONE PLACED IN 1910 FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF ONE OF THE FINEST; BEST COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS IN THIS ENTIRE AREA.

THROUGH THE YEARS, MANY VERY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSES WERE HOUSED HERE. IN LATER YEARS SEVERAL VERY SELECT _______ FAMILY BUSINESSES WERE VERY SUCCESSFUL HERE.

THIS FOUR STORY BUILDING WAS DESTROYED BY FIRE; ARSON, HOWEVER, THE GOODNESS AND GREATNESS IT REPRESENTS WILL AND SHALL LAST FOREVER.

PRIOR TO THE FIRE, NEGOTIATIONS WERE IN PLACE TO HAVE OUR BUILDING ESTABLISHED IN THE NATIONAL HISTORIC REGISTRY.

When first I read this plaque I was bit confused. Studying it, I think I understand what it is meant to say, but it certainly doesn't read like it.

The moral of the plaque? Do not let the size of the plaque limit what you need to say. If it does not fit, either scrap the idea or get a larger plaque. Also, be sure to use proper punctuation.

3 comments:

  1. Please tell me this is some sort of joke? I know how much those plaques cost and cna't imagine such a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The inscription must have been composed by a certain co-worker of mine. There is no other explanation....

    It pains me to think that such ignorance is forever etched in stone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On hand it is impressive; deplorable, but impressive.

    ReplyDelete