09 March 2007

Advice on microphones

Here's a bit of advice when using a lavalier microphone:

Be sure to check the battery strength before using said microphone.
Personally, I hate these things with a great passion. They are, perhaps, the most irritating thing with which I deal on a semi-frequent basis. They are clumsy, bothersome and not altogether helpful. Aside from that, the constant reaching-into-the-pocket-to-turn-the-microphone-on-and-off is neither noble nor beautiful. I have not yet found a way to make them non-distracting. I, for one, would much rather have a standing microphone any day.

Actually, the more I see it, the more like it: the Vatican style of mircophones. Why wear a microphone when someone can bring it to you? At least that way you always know it will work.

I only use the dumb things when I all but have too: at weddings, funerals and during the Way of the Cross.

Tonight the battery lasted all the way through the first station. Oops...

5 comments:

  1. My parish has trouble with the miserable things, too. Always going out at the worst time. Back in my public service ( read "volunteer workhorse" ) days, I never used them unless someone made me. If the voice is trained, they're completely unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wholeheartedly, but I cannot seem to get anyone else to believe me that a gothic church such as ours has no need of microphones. People could hear in the church one hundred years ago, and now they cannot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Modern life must have had an effect on their hearing, as well as their ability to walk. The average American will drive two blocks to buy the latest issue of Health and Fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How right you are!

    Incidentally, some of the parishioners who attended the Way of the Cross last night asked me if I was using a microphone.

    They said they could hear me perfectly and were utterly amazed when I told them I was not using one.

    All I could say is, "This is what I've been saying for two years now. Take out the microphones and everyone will hear me perfectly. The speakers only make it worse."

    We'll see if their message spreads...

    ReplyDelete