01 February 2007

With eyes to see, part II

As each day goes by the contacts are growing easier to wear. Today my right eye barely felt the contact in but my left eye is still a bit bothered by it. Thanks for asking!

I wore them at Mass yesterday for the first time. I'm delighted to say that I can now see the books very well and make out the words without much difficulty and without having to stand back a good 18 inches! It's wonderful! However, seeing to the back of the church was a bit troubling (it was a bit blurry back there unless I really concentrated). I think it's still a matter of my eyes getting used to refocusing without glasses. I'll ask the optometrist on Friday when I see him again.

What bothers me the most about the contacts is putting my glasses back on at the end of the day. I find it takes a good 20 minutes for my eyes to readjust to them, until which time I cannot do very much at all.

People - students especially - have been asking the rather obvious question: Did you get contacts? I've given two responses so far:

1. No, I woke up two days ago and found that I could see perfectly, and

2. I've never worn glasses.
I'm amazed at how many people have taken me seriously with both answers! I think I could announce that I was elected King of England and a good many people would believe me... I won't announce that, of course :)

No comments:

Post a Comment