25 January 2007

Reflections on the March

This year was, I believe, my fifth time participating in the March for Life; at the very least it was my fourth.

What has often struck me about the March is this: while tens of thousands amass in the nation's capitol to demand respect and protection for the unborn, we who have gathered very often refuse to show respect toward those who have been born.

What do I mean?

Walking in the March I am always shocked at the ways groups will lock arms together - not to keep together, but to charge their way through other groups of people. I am shocked at the way that groups and individuals will force their way through what is obviously a group of people purposely walking together (note their idential shirts, hats, scarves, bags, flags, etc.). I am shocked at the way people refuse to acknowledge other human beings and just trample them down. I am shocked at the absence of any sense of order, with people simply pushing and shoving their way toward the Supreme Court building.

In recent years there seems to be a growing refusal to join the March for Life where it actually begins, instead shoving in from any side street from which one decides to enter. My group of 318 pilgrims gathered where the March was to begin; apparently we were some of the only ones who decided to do so.

Waiting then in the middle of the street for a good two hours, we were able to see where many Marchers had already trod. Turning around and looking back down the streets - and even along the way once we finally began to move - I was shocked at what we left in our wake: nothing but trash.

The trash bins were stuffed to overflowing and piles of trash were stacked around them. Worse yet, on the sidewalks, streets and grass, cups, bottles and plastic bags of all shapes, sizes and colors littered the area.

How can we expect people to listen to our demands for respect for the unborn if we refuse to show respect to one another?

How can we expect people to listen to our demands for resprect for the unborn if we refuse to show respect to those who have to pick up our mess?

It is not terribly difficult to simply follow the flow of the March as it goes. It is not difficult to join the March at the appropriate place. It is not difficult to accept that individual groups are not in charge of the March and have no right to block the way of other Marchers simply because they want to march in military fashion with their own particular group. It is not difficult to put my own trash in my bag or pocket and throw it away myself.

Perhaps I am overly sensitive in these areas. Perhaps my mentality is too Medieval or un-American. Perhaps I care too much about the group and not enough about the individual. Perhaps I simply want our example to match what we say.

No comments:

Post a Comment