15 January 2007

Lukan learners

Many moons ago several parishioners at our mission parish - Annunciation Parish in Shumway, Illinois - asked me about holding a Bible study at the parish. I was happy to but for one reason or another no dates were ever set.

As the moon waxed and waned their repeated requests turned into near demands for Bible study. They finally said to me, "Father, you tell us when you can come and we will be there."

I then set up seven Monday evenings for a Bible study on the Gospel of Luke, this being the year of Luke, this evening being the first of the meetings. A sign-up sheet was put out and I expected ten to fifteen takers. We would have a discussion-style study with questions and sharing; it would be an intimate gathering of those who long to know Christ Jesus.

As of this moment, there are fifty (50) people signed up, out of a parish of 320 registered parishioners (including young children). I am ecstatic, dumbfounded, excited and nervous. I have no idea what this will look like!

Please keep me - and hte participants - in your prayers. I'll keep you posted on the happenings and maybe I'll even post a picture or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment