25 September 2006

A rather odd day, but a good one

Today, after offering the Holy Mass and playing hacky-sack (or however you spell it) with some of the high school students, I drove to St. Louis to visit my doctor at St. Louis University Hospital to check up on my arthritis (for more on this read my testimony).

A couple of years ago when my classmates and I from the seminary went on pilgrimage in the footsteps of Saints Peter and Paul, we played hacky-sack all over Turkey as we waited for our fellow pilgrims to board the bus. It was a joy to play it again, even though some of the students nearly kicked each other to the hospital.

(I know some of the high school students read this; if you happen to be one of them with whom I played hacky-sack, invite me again sometime - I'd be happy to play.)

At any rate, I encountered a most beautiful child of God when I arrived at SLU and dropped off my car at the valet parking (it's only $3.00 and I have no idea where else to park!). The woman who came to drive my car began a conversation with me trying to decipher my license plate. As we talked she introduced herself to me and I introduced myself to her as "Father Daren".

I left for the hospital dressed like everybody else because a priest in the waiting room of doctor's offices often tends to make people quite nervous and scared, and, being that most people who visit these doctors have serious illnesses, I voted it best to go incognito. This way I also had a chance to finally read more of The Divine Comedy. Perhaps I should have gone in my clerics, but this proved to me a great moment of grace for me.

At any rate, the woman, Sandra is her name, said to me, "I thought you were a priest or a minister; you have that glow and look about you." She is a former Catholic who is now a Lutheran who still considers coming back to the Cathoic Church, but her son wishes to remain Lutheran. I suspect there is a long and interesting story behind this.

We chatted for quite a while and when another car pulled up behind mine I excused myself to let her return to her work and me to see my doctor. When I returned an hour later we chatted a good deal more. I look forward to seeing her again when I return in March.

During our conversation she mentioned that several of her friends suggested to her that she enter some sort of formal ministry. I reminded her that she had a perfect ministry right here at the valet booth. I have seen her a number of times before and she has always greeted me warmly and with a great smile. She is a most welcome sight in such a place. Her warm smile - and often enough her loving hugs - gives patients, myself included, quite a boost.

Sandra is certainly not the first person to say that there is something about me that sets me apart from other people, some glow, aura, or something or other. I'm not entirely sure I know what she means or what she saw in me - although I have said the same thing about other priests - but it gives me great confidence to know that my priesthood is not my own, but that of Jesus Christ. This, I suspect, is what she saw in me and for this I am deeply grateful to the Lord.

As we pray somewhere in the Liturgy of the Hours: "My life is at the service of the Gospel. God has given me this gift of grace." May he keep me faithful in his service all the rest of my days!

No comments:

Post a Comment