19 February 2011

A sad day tomorrow will likely be

I know that compared to some I have not lived a long life; even so, I am amazed at how the years pass by so quickly.

As in every life I have many memories - both joyful and sorrowful - that have marked the passage of time in my life and by which I mark the passage of time. Tomorrow will be one of those days.

My father - George William "Bill" - died twenty-five years ago tomorrow; I was seven years old. Will you please say a prayer for him, and for me?

As the evening draws on I find myself becoming more sad as I remember that day that shaped so much of my life. I've never had a very good memory, but that morning remains forever etched in my mind.


I am grateful for the time I was given with my father and I have several fond memories of him. I am also grateful to the Lord - immensely grateful - for the years that have followed his death; my life could easily have turned out very differently. I am grateful to my aunt and uncle for taking my brother and I in.

And yet, despite so much for which to be grateful, I am sad; it is, I suppose, only natural. Though I have known much joy in life, I have also known much sorrow; sadness, like joy, is comfortable to me, a welcome companion from time to time as it reminds me of the goodness of the Lord and the promise of eternal merriment.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen!

2 comments: