02 February 2008

Eureka!

I've found it! (That's what "eureka" means in Greek.) Finally!

I spent a good part of the evening last night tearing my office, library, and suite apart in search of Pope Benedict XVI's Jesus of Nazareth that I wanted to use in my homily preparation. Even repeated prayers to Saint Anthony yielded no results.

Just a moment ago, I left my office to return to my suite to search yet again, fearing the book lost forever.

When I returned to my office and took off my coat I looked down and what did my eyes behold? Jesus of Nazareth, in the hallway outside my office, on top of a stack of books meant to return to my library in the rectory. (There is something to be said of having the office in the rectory.)

Thank you, Saint Anthony!

For the curious, I'm aware of several prayers to the Wonder Worker of Padua to find what has been lost.

First, there is the short little ditty:

Tony, Tony, look around
Something's lost and must be found!
A bit trite, maybe, but I don't know if the Saint minds.

If want something a bit more formal, you might pray:

Saint Anthony, when you prayed
your stolen book of prayers was given back to you.

Pray now for all of us who have lost things precious and dear.

Pray for all who have lost faith, hope or friendship with God.

Pray for us who have lost friends or relatives by death.

Pray for all who have lost peace of mind or spirit.

Pray that we may be given new hope, new faith, new love.

Pray that lost things, needful and helpful to us,
may be returned to our keeping.

Or, if we must continue in our loss,
pray that we may be given Christ's comfort and peace. Amen.
Or, if you want something more specific, there is this prayer:

Blessed Saint Anthony, the grace of God has made you a powerful advocate in all necessities and the patron of the restoration of things lost or stolen. To you I turn today with childlike love and heartfelt confidence. How many people you have miraculously aided in the recovery of what was lost.

You were the consoler of the erring, the comforter of the afflicted, the healer of the sick, the raiser of the dead, the deliverer of the captive, the refuge of the affliected. To you I hasten, blessed Saint Anthony. Help me in my present concern: _____.

I commend what I have lost to your care in the secure hope that you will restore it to me if this be to the greater glory of God and to my own spiritual benefit. Obtain also for me an active faith, peace of mind, sincere love for others, and an ardent desire for eternal life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment